Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Malerie Marder

Next up is Malerie Marder. I really love looking at all this work - it fascinates me to the point where I'm almost addicted to it. Figure I'll spend the week getting up to speed with the photographic art world before I start to make more images. The more I feed on this the more I will understand the process which will guide me a bit away from my formal portrait photographic training. I find this a bit challenging because when I look at things like harsh light and shadows I take off points in my photographic competitions - but there is a realness in these images that you don't find in something so polished.

Malerie's images too seem to be cinematic in quality. The black and white images seen below are from her book "Carnal Knowledge" are of family, friends and herself all in the nude. Actually most of Malerie's images are done in the nude. Again they address intimacy and separation. Her work has to do with privacy and secrecy. Intimacy, non-intimacy, voyeurism, connection, lack of connection, etc.















No comments:

Post a Comment