Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Taking pictures of strangers

So, I'm a chicken when it comes to going up to strangers. Not when I'm being paid for it mind you. When I'm hired to cover an event, I can talk to anyone... but when it comes to being just one of the crowd, I feel funny going up and talking to strangers. So my mentor Tanyth Berkely decided it would be a good idea if I put myself in a situation where I would need to go up to strangers and ask to photograph them but they would probably be willing to be photographed. Since I have had an interest for many years in photographing Steampunk, she suggested this wouldn't be too big a step from what I enjoy doing, So I signed myself and my husband up for "Wicked Faire" in Somerset, NJ last weekend.

It was hard to walk the halls with my camera and force myself to take pictures. The greatest challenge for me was that as a professional photographer, I'm used to having complete control over my subjects and environment. Here I didn't. I was asking people to spare a moment of their time to allow me to photograph them. They were not getting an image. They didn't even know me and who knows what I would be doing with their likeness. It was an exercise in trust on their part. I interrupted conversations and smokes, made them almost miss busses, and generally inconvenienced them for my own purposes. Because I was aware of that (and have been trained to never be a problem to anyone almost to a fault), I wanted to be as fast as possible. That meant that I had things in the background that I felt were skewing the image. I was not always able to control my lighting or the crowds milling around me. I didn't spend more than a few seconds with my subjects so I didn't dictate the pose. I was merely the documenter of the experience.

I found this exercise rather frustrating from a skill standpoint. I could hear all my old teachers screaming, bad lighting, bad pose, background too busy, too much noise, etc. I published the images on Facebook with fear and trepidation that I'd be seen as a bad portrait photographer... that I should know better. But this exercise wasn't about that. This was about breaking the rules and overcoming shyness. It was about being comfortable with the uncontrollable. It's not that I haven't made a million snapshots like this before. I've photographed weddings and social functions. This didn't feel any different. It felt like I was doing a service to the people and wanted to make the images available to them to celebrate their creativity in costuming.

Here's what I learned from this. One, people are pretty cool. Some are more open than others to being photographed but they all said yes. Two, as I work on these images I see a beauty in every person. This is the reason that I became a portrait photographer in the first place. I just love people! As I view these images, these people are becoming my friends. I feel gratitude toward them. Three, if I want to be serious about photographing these people, I'd like to single some out and spend a bit more time with them. Share who I am and let them share with me who they are.

The Wicked Faire initially was intimidating to me because I didn't know what it was about. I didn't know what the workshops were, or the performers or anything. I wasn't even sure what we were doing there aside from walking up to strangers and taking pictures. As the weekend went on I started getting more into it. I felt less like a fish out of water. I'm used to going to photography conferences where I know people and I know the trade. This was different.

At the end of the weekend I made a few friends, got a super cool outfit and decided that I want to delve deeper into this world. Who are the people? Why do they go here and spend all that money on costumes? What does it benefit them? I guess I enjoy a good psychological study or at least an archival situation. In two months there is a big Steampunk World's Fair. I'm signing my whole family up for the experience and looking forward to some new adventures





.


































No comments:

Post a Comment